Sunday, February 24, 2008

Henry Rollins



Hey gang. I just rolled back into town a few hours ago from Asheville NC. I headed up on Friday to check out the man to your left do spoken word. This is the third time I've seen Henry do the spoken word thing and I think this was the most intense I've seen him. Topics this time around included: Henry's recent trip to an Aids Hospital in South Africa, his small part in a movie with Cuba Gooding Jr., his recent USO trips, Christmas, seeing a young Van Halen as an opening band blowing the headliner Ted Nugent off the stage, meeting Iggy Pop for the first time, doing a show with the remaining members of The Ruts etc.,etc. My only complaint about this show (which may sound strange) was that it was too long. He spoke non-stop for 3 hours and 15 minutes. I think I saw him take a drink of water once for about 5 seconds... And this man doesn't exactly speak slowly...I'd say he speaks just a tad bit slower than that guy from the Micro Machines commercials. Don't get me wrong it was still entertaining but it's hard to watch anything for three hours straight and not get a bit anxious. So the music entertainment gods had been in my corner this year (Rollins this past weekend, Wilco on Friday, Springsteen in April and perhaps Bonnaroo in June) However when i got home today I checked my email and had something from Ticketmaster..uh-oh. Apparently the Wilco show (which was supposed to be this Friday) has been postponed till August. I was a bit upset (wouldn't you be) so i went to their website to seek answers and i read that they are booked to play Saturday Night Live this weekend (the day after they were supposed to be in Charleston.) I think this was a pretty recent announcement so what i can conclude is they cancelled out to play SNL. I suppose i get it, that's pretty big exposure for the band and it's a strong vehicle to gain more fans....but what about the fans who bought tickets for this Friday's sold out show? The ones that have been loyal fans for years? If this is truly the case why they cancelled, it will leave a bad taste in my mouth about Wilco. If i find out their was some type of emergency I'll retract my statements, but as of now Cobra Kai will have a temporary ban on Wilco postings. Yeah I know big deal right. In the scheme of things i realize it won't affect the band.....(although one or two of you out in the Internet world may have been introduced to their music from this site...some of you may think i post too much of them anyways) but it's just my way of speaking out. Yeah i know i don't "soapbox" much on this blog but i had been looking forward to the show for almost three months and I'm a bit bummed/pissed off. Man I guess ole Henry got me all fired up! Alright enough said. Here's a bit of Henry in action. This particular rant is about 90's TV (it's from a 1998 show) and marriage. It's about 13 minutes long. Enjoy.

Television

Apparently this file was too large for my free Mediamax service. Here's a shorter rant...

Weatherman

Click here for more info on Henry Rollins