Sunday, August 01, 2010

Sunday Morning Coming Down - The Gin Blossoms



I'm not sure how some people are able to sit at their desks all day and not listen to the radio. I found out that I was a bit of a minority at work because I actually listen to music/talk radio to make the day pass by a little faster. Sure I sometimes have to turn down the volume to concentrate or talk to a higher up but other than those times I need the constant noise.

I kind of got tired bringing in CD's everyday so I stumbled upon a few radio shows I enjoy online.

The other day I came across CBS radio with a station category called Class Reunion.(we're not allowed to download Pandora) They have every year from 1960 to 2007. Anyways once you click on your preferred year you'll only hear music from that year. I went ahead and clicked on 1996. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a mix of rock, R&B, rap and pop. Anyways it kind of brought me back to the high school years and one of the bands that had the most rotation during this time was the Gin Blossoms.

I actually got to see these guys play almost two years ago at the Charleston Fair. I was a little surprised when I saw them on the fair schedule. Usually it's some past contestant from American Idol or a country star that may have had one hit song. The fair can be kind of a creepy place but my girlfriend and I ventured off on a Thursday night to see what the boys sounded like. The icing on the cake was that we had free passes to get in. I didn't have high expectations but when the band hit the stage they sounded exactly like they did in 1995. I had forgotten how many hits these guys had. You could tell they were having a good time. They even made a few jokes about themselves playing the "fair circuit." After about the third song someone in the audience yelled "Hey Jealousy." the singer responded by saying, “Sir we actually don’t get paid unless we play that song. So don't worry." Alright here's one that you'll probably recognize. I’ve also included a link to the Reunion Radio. I think you'll enjoy checking out your year.


Until I Fall Away


Class Reunion Radio