Saturday, March 29, 2008

Big City Nights - Ben Harper / Johnny Cash

I went and saw Kimya Dawson play last night at a small local joint. I honestly knew nothing about her but apparently she's gained some acclaim due to her songs on the Juno soundtrack (haven't seen it yet) I saw her old band mate Adam Green in concert about five years ago opening for Ben Kweller but i had no idea about his past. the show was pretty enjoyable, she is definitely unique. the thing that ruined the show for me were the people. Lot's of young "hipsters" standing around constantly talking. I don't get why one would pay $15 to hear themselves talk. This was an acoustic show in a packed room so the conversations were distracting. i 'm not sure why it is so difficult for people to shut the fuck up for an hour and just listen. Okay that's my monthly "twilight of my youth" complaint.

One of the first bars we hit while in the city was The Red Lion in Greenwich Village. We rolled in around happy hour and just in time for some music. The first thing we heard was a solo acoustic artist playing some pretty "kick you in the gut" type songs. The guy was actually very good and i enjoyed his set picks. After about an hour and a half a funk band came on. that's one of the things i loved about new york, once one thing was winding down a totally different thing would come your way. These were the first two songs the first guy played. I honestly don't own the Richard Ashcroft or Gordon Lightfoot (respectively) versions of these tunes but these are some pretty sweet covers.


The Drugs Don't Work - Ben Harper

If You Could Read My Mind - Johnny Cash