Friday, March 28, 2008

Big City Nights - Tom Waits



A friend of mine hooked me up with some "later" Waits stuff right before my trip. I've been listening to his music for about two years but i had yet to get past his first 2 or three albums. I'll admit the later voice is an acquired taste but I've finally come around. I've been reading The Many Lives of Tom Waits and it mentioned that Rain Dogs was written while Waits was residing in NYC. A lot of the tracks have references to parts of the city and it was a perfect soundtrack as I was heading into the city by train. The songs are desperate and melancholy (and sometimes just insane) After a few days in the city i could see that it wouldn't be hard to be lonely, ever though so many people are around. One could easily get lost in the shuffle...maybe that's just my small town roots shining through. Have a nice weekend.

Blind Love

Downtown Train

Click here for more info on Tom Waits