Saturday, April 12, 2008

Bridging The Gap - Wilco

Yes it's true..I'm officially ending my "Wilco Ban." I was a bit upset when the boys cancelled their show to perform on Saturday Night Live but after two months I've seen the light. These guys are one of my favorite bands so i couldn't' stay mad for too long...plus i have an August show to look forward to. It's right around my birthday so i guess things work out for a reason. These guys have grown a lot since 1994's AM was released. For one thing only two of the original members are still in the band. In fact the lineup has changed on every album. The first album has a few bright moments but overall they sound like a band you could see in a bar in "Any town USA" on a Saturday night. Throughout the years the albums have taken drastic turns....sounds have ranged from country to rock to electronica to jazz. I've read a lot of reviews about Wilco's newest album saying it was a step back from what Wilco was building up too. I disagree with that statement. I think they just put something out that nobody expected. I don't know about you but i get bored with a band if they keep putting out the "same sounding" music year after year. Side note about the second track . Tweedy wrote this track from the perspective of a someone losing their significant other. Songs about death are sometimes hard to deal with because it's not a favorite topic with most people (no offense to my goth friends out their) but this song puts a positive spin on this inevitable event. I love the way Tweedy describes death as "disappearing into a dream." I've never heard it described that way before. Have a nice weekend.

Box Full of Letters

On and on and On

Click here for more info on Wilco